AKC Urban Good Citizen (CGCU)
Who may participate?
All dogs, both purebred and mixed breed.
Puppies must have had necessary immunizations, and owner will sign Responsible Dog Owners Pledge attesting to having the dog under the routine care of a Veterinarian.
AKC Registered or PAL Numbers are acceptable.
If test is given at an AKC show, the age requirements for the show will apply.
The dog must have its CGC Title
(Tests may be done in the same day, the CGC must be passed prior to the AKC Urban CGC.)
AKC Urban CGC (CGCU) requires that the dog demonstrate his mastery of CGC skills in an urban setting. This test has been designed to assist owners who live in urban setting to have training specifically designed to help dogs deal well with the setting they live in.
All tests are on lead. Treats are not allowed. Handlers may talk to their dogs and praise throughout the test. The test will be in a city, town or urban setting where there are streets that must be crossed, sidewalks and noises to deal with.
This is a ten step test Dogs must pass all ten items.
- The dog will enter and exit a doorway to a dog friendly building with no pulling.
- The dog will traverse a crowded sidewalk and tolerate distractions.
- The dog will demonstrate appropriate reactions to city distractions such as noises, moving objects and surfaces.
- The dog will stop at a corner, sit or stand waiting patiently for a proper time to cross the street with no pulling on the leash and crossing the street under control.
- The dog will ignore food on sidewalk, such as dropped food, cups, bags or cans.
- Person walks up and pets the dog. The person may be carrying an item such as a small dog in a bag, a computer bag, etc.,. The person does not put the bag down to pet the dog.
- The dog must walk into a Public Building (that is dog friendly) under control in building (slick surface, carpeted floor). The dog will perform a Down stay (3 min) in lobby or outdoor area, or wait while owner has a meal or snack.
- The dog will execute a walk up stairs, steps, or ride in an elevator under control.
- The dog must be housetrained for apartment, condo, city living. The Owner may verify this item or the Evaluator may observe in public buildings, or have observed in training classes.
- Depending on the Owner's transportation needs, the dog must either enter and exit a vehicle and remain in control on the ride. Small dogs may ride in a bag. You must know and abide by the Transit Policies in your area).
All ten test items must be completed successfully.
If you wish to have a CGCU Certificate only without the official title, AKC will mail you one with a processing fee. If you wish to have the title added to your dog’s name, there is a higher processing fee. For more complete information, consult the AKC website.
There is complete information on the AKC Community Canine (CCGA) on the American Kennel Club Website at www.akc.org.