AKC Community Canine
Who may participate?
All dogs, both purebred and mixed breed.
Puppies must have had necessary immunizations, and owner will sign Responsible Dog Owners Pledge attesting to having the dog under the routine care of a Veterinarian.
AKC Registered or PAL Numbers are acceptable.
If test is given at an AKC show, the age requirements for the show will apply.
The dog must have its CGC Title
(Tests may be done in the same day, the CGC must be passed prior to the AKC Community Canine.)
AKC Community Canine is an advanced level of the CGC program. CGC tests are simulations of skills needed in the “real world” but tested in a ring. The AKC Community Canine is a more realistic settings at do shows, classes and in the community.
All tests are on lead. Treats are not allowed. Handlers may talk to their dogs and praise throughout the test.
This is a ten step test Dogs must pass all ten items. (As shown on the AKC Website)
- The dog will stand, sit or lie down and wait under control while the owner fills out paper at the registration desk or if test is done in the community, the dog will wait quietly while the owner sits and has a snack or visits with another person.
- The dog will walks on a loose leash in a natural situation (not in a ring) without pulling and executes a left and right turn, a stop, and walk at a fast and slow pace.
- The dog will walks on loose leash through a crowd (not in a ring, if at a show). If in the community the dog will walk on a sidewalk or through a crowd at a park, on a trail, a busy hallway or a community fair.
- The dog will walk past a distraction with other dogs present without pulling. (This item may be tested along with #3 if there are dogs in the crowd, etc.)
- The dog will Sit and Stay among a group with three other people with dogs for at least thirty seconds.
- The dog will allow a person who is carrying something (backpack, computer bag, etc.) to approach and pet it. The person will ask, “May I pet your dog?” The item will be placed on floor/ground before the person pets the dog.
- The dog will be instructed to “Leave it.” and walk past food on the floor, ground or in a food dish with a wire cover.
- While their dog is on a 20 foot line, in a Down or sit stay, the owner will walk away from the dog, pick up an item place by an evaluator and return to the dog.
- While the dog is on a 20 foot line, the owner will recall the dog with distractions present
- The dog will sit or stand stay (owner’s choice) while owner enters/exits a doorway or narrow passageway. Owner calls dog through door when ready. The Owner may also choose t send the dog through the door first and wait for the owner, or the owner may have the dog go through the doorway next to the owner's side.
If you wish to have a CGCA Certificate only without the official title, AKC will mail you one with a processing fee. If you wish to have the title added to your dog’s name, there is a higher processing fee. For more complete information, consult the AKC website.
There is complete information on the AKC Community Canine (CCGA) on the American Kennel Club Website at www.akc.org.