Warning on algae poisoning in dogs who play in water

The hot muggy days of summer can cause blooms of blue-green algae in still, fresh water ponds and lakes, algae that are toxic to humans and dogs.  In the first two weeks of August, several dogs died after exposure to the algae.  Here is a link to information about the algae, symptoms of algae poisoning, and what to do if you think your dog has been exposed.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/news/blue-green-algae-symptoms-tips/

Bottom line:

  • Avoid still ponds and lakes with algae blooms (and often a foul smell)
  • If your dog has been exposed, rinse off immediately with fresh water and call the vet.